Frequently Asked Questions

How do I choose the right boat? Do I need a license for diving? Find your answers here

Motor Yacht or Sailing Yacht?

Motor boats travel faster and tend to be larger, typically appealing to those who prefer a luxurious and elegant lifestyle. Sailing yachts, while also luxurious, usually accommodate fewer guests and more often appeal to those who have a romance with the sea and relish in feeling the wind and motion of the oceans. In some locations sailing yacht charters may include meals and fuel, whereas for motor yachts meals and fuel are charged additionally to the base charter fee.


How much is your total budget?

Knowing how much you want to spend is the last element to help us find the ideal yacht for you. Your budget should include everything except the travel costs to your destination; i.e. it should cover accommodations, meals, beverages, and associated gratuities for all in your party.


What qualifications do I need for bareboat charter?

According to Croatian Maritime Law you should be in possession of a license to operate the pleasure craft issued by the state authority of the country that you are coming from. The VHF license is required as well. Licenses from almost all European countries are accepted in Croatia.


How do I choose the right yacht?

That's where we can help, it's what we do better than anyone else.

This is what we do, this is all we do, and it just so happens that we do it extraordinarily well. In fact, no company caters to their clients in quite the way we do.

Imagine a trained and experienced charter specialist dedicated to serving you, available to answer every question, and customize, plan, schedule and set into motion the vacation experience of a lifetime seven days a week. Charter specialists will be available to you from your very first question to the end of your charter, you are their priority.

We inspect yachts every year and get to know the crews. We also travel to various destinations around the world to experience them ourselves. Before we can really help we'll have a few questions for you.

Who will be going with you?

The size and make up of your party will help us identify yachts with the right number and type of staterooms. Their ages and interests will help further to ensure the yacht is correctly equipped and crewed.


When chartering can I leave Croatian territorial waters?

Charter companies generally do not allow charter outside of the Croatian territorial waters but if you would still like to visit Italy, Montenegro or even Greece then you should highlight this special request when setting the inquiry – all boats do not have an international permitt and the charter company needs to know that you will leave the country so as to prepare all the necessary documents for you. Please note that an international permit is usually charged additionally. When crossing the boarder, please remember that you are obliged to report to the Croatian customs office and to the custom soffice of the country that you are entering. The customs office is usually placed in the master`s office in a harbor and you should choose the one nearest to the boarder.


What is Sojourn Tax?

According to the Sojourn Tax Law, guests are required to pay a Sojourn Tax when paying for the accommodation services. The Sojourn Tax amounts to 2,00 to 7,00 kn per person per day for adults. Children under the age of 12 are exempt from paying, while persons from the age of 12 to 18 have a 50% discount. The exact amount depends on the destination and period of your stay. According to's General Terms and Conditions, the Sojourn Tax is charged when making the final payment for accommodation services.


Are there any special rules for regatta participation?

Besides the fast boat, valid license and good sailing experience is everything you need. However, if the charter company is willing to charter a boat for  a regatta, keep in mind that some extra costs will arise from this arrangement. A double deposit is usually requested for security reasons. In most cases  a regatta fee should be paid as well – a regatta fee depends on the charter price and is usually charged 20-25% amount of the charter fee.


What is the security deposit?

The security deposit is the amount with which you are liable if any damage, that is a consequence of mishandling of the boat, happens while chartering the boat. All the boats are fully insured with Casco, but the security deposit still has to be left in a starting marina via cash or credit card. The security deposit will be refunded in full amount unless the existence of damage or a defect on the yacht or the equipment is found during when you return the yacht. Please note that the amount of a security deposit is the maximum amount with which you can be charged for any damages. Everything that exceeds that amount the charter company will cover via the insurance company.
In case of thefts on boats (the outboard engine or dinghy are items of boat inventory that are in most cases the object of thefts) please do not forget to report it to the nearest police station.
Is there a possibility to buy additional insurance in order to cover all potential damages?
The damage waiver (additional insurance of the security deposit that practically covers all the damages) in most cases can be offered. Terms and conditions of a damage waiver depend on the insurance company that insures the boat but generally speaking it usually costs 7-12% of the deposit amount of the boat that you would like to book.


When do I have to make the final payment?

Final payment and usually your APA (Advance Provisioning Allowance) are due thirty days prior to departure. The APA is based on your cruising plans discussed during the selection process. If it is listed in the terms on your charter agreement, you will be asked to send funds to cover this at the same time as your final payment. During your charter the Captain will monitor outgoings and reconcile actual expenses against these advance funds for you at the end of your charter or shortly afterwards.


What if I have to cancel?

The charter agreement will document what happens in various circumstances if the charter is cancelled. Cancellation insurance is available to protect your funds should unforeseen circumstances prevent or cut short your charter. Ask our charter professional about these options as you complete your charter selection.


Do I need a license for diving?

Diving in Adriatic is forbidden without a valid license. You need to be in possession of a valid divers card issued by the Croatian Diving Federation. This license can be obtained if you have valid divers brevet issued by the International diving association (IDD, UDI, CMAS, MDEA, PADI…).


Do I need a license for fishing?

For legal fishing a valid fishing license is required as well. A license can be obtained in fishing clubs that are authorized for issuing the licenses to foreign citizens. To obtain the license you only need your passport or ID – if you are already a member of some fishing club in your country take your club card with you as it can decrease the license fee. Please note that fishing is forbidden in National Parks – when obtaining the license you will receive a list  of the zones that are off fishing limits as well as a list of allowed fishing tools.


What is the cost of marinas and harbors?

The mooring fee varies from marina to marina. It also depends on the size of the boat. The mooring fee for  a catamaran is usually charged double the mooring fee for the mono hull of the same size. The average price is around 50-70 EUR for the boat of ca. 43 ft per day. If you have already settled your sailing route you can check the prices on the web sites of the marinas on your route. On the other hand, some of the harbours and most of the anchorages are available for free.


Can I book a place in a marina in advance?

Unfortunately, this kind of service is not available in marinas in Croatia. Berth in a marina is usually not a problem off season.  During July and August if you want to make sure that you will catch your marina berth it is best to leave for the wished marina in the early afternoon hours.


Can I pay in Euros in Croatia?

National currency in Croatia is Kuna (HRK). Although EUR can be accepted in some establishments, please keep in mind that Kuna is in most cases the only means of payment accepted. ATM machines can be found almost everywhere and therefore you do not have to worry for cash withdrawals if you get to the point that you ran out of Kunas.


Where can I get the weather forecast?

The weather forecast can be obtained at any marina reception. Of course, you can always call the base or listen to the weather forecast on the radio and VHF as they are broadcasted frequently especially during the summer season.


Can I take the electrical equipment on board?

You can take the electrical equipment with you but it is important to be rational with these goods. Croatia uses standard European 2 point plug and the electricity is 220 V. However, the yachts have shore power connection and while in marinas you will be able to use all the electrical devices as you are wired to shore electricity. When sailing, only boats with a generator will supply with 220 V all the time.


Can mobile chargers be used on board?

Mobile chargers can be used on bord with the usual 220 V plug in while in marina on shore power connection. Otherwise, you can use the car phone charger that can be plugged into the 12 V cigatette lighter on board.


Are mobile phone signals available in all sailing areas?

Most of Croatian sea is covered with a mobile phone signal.


What is included in charter fee?

Charter price is usually formed per boat weekly, no matter how many people will be on board (the maximum number of passengers is always limited, depending on the size of the yacht). Therefore, charter price covers the vessel rental, all navigation and safety equipment, dinghy and the bed linens. The obligatory payment that needs to be done at embarkation is transit log or charter pack and the residence tax. Outboard engine, gennaker, spinnaker, snorkelling equipment are optional services that are not included in the charter fee and can be arranged at surcharge.


Are towels included in the charter fee?

In most cases not. If they are not included in the charter fee they can be usually arranged at extra cost. Beach towels are never included in the charter fee and you should bring them with you.


When is the check-in and the check-out?

Embarkation is usually done Saturdays in the afternoon from 5- 6 p.m. The charter provider usually needs a few hours to prepare the boat for the charter meaning that the boat needs to be cleaned properly from inside and outside and, if necessary, to take care of some small repairments. However, if the boat is ready earlier the embarkation will be done earlier. Check-out is in most cases done Saturday morning till 8-9 a.m. Some charter comapnies do the check-out on Friday afternoon and then you are allowed overnight onboard untill Saturday morning. However, this information should be confirmed when booking the boat.


Is it possible to charter the boat for a short term period?

Charter is always done weekly Saturday – Saturday. Exceptions to this rule are allowed but only off season or in lthe ast minute option. Please note that even though you will get the offer for a short term charter the price will probably be calculated on a weekly bases.


Do I have to pay the food for the skipper?

The provisioning is not included in the price for skippers' services meaning that you have to take care for his food whether you are dining in the restaurant or on board. The skippers do not abuse this custom and in most casess these arrangements run very smoothly.


We have small children – can we take them on board and what can we do for their safety?

Small children can be taken on board but some precautions have to be taken. If you are chartering a motor boat a fly bridge type is more suitable then  the open type. If chartering a sailing boat, a catamaran is our recommendation because cats are more spacious and stable than the monohull. As an extra insurance for the youngest, a sailors safety net and lifebelts for children can always be arranged. Please note that these services are extra charged and need to be ordered in advance.


Can I be reached while away?

Many larger yachts have SAT phone capability and many locations these days have cell coverage if you have a GSM phone. Some yachts also have internet access via satellite. There are extra charged and cell coverage is limited as you know. Simply put if you are on a very remote idyllic anchorage with not a house or person in sight, you cell phone may not work. We can give you the yachts' contact information to share with your family and friends before you leave.


The Captain's Responsibilities

A luxury yacht charter is customized to your needs. The Captain will always try to comply with your wishes and he may be able to present various possibilities, when available, to meet your needs. However, his primary responsibility is the safety of his passengers and the yacht and, should a circumstance arise, he has the final decision on safety issues.



At the end of every charter, at your discretion, it is customary to tip the Captain and crew. If you have had a wonderful time and think it was as a result of long hours and attention to detail provided by the crew, then 15% of the base charter fee may be fair. Exceptional service often warrants 20% or higher, at your discretion.